The Faculty of Architecture, Chiang Mai University was founded in June 1995. After a couple of years of innovative approach in teaching, learning and researching Architecture, the Faculty of Architecture, on the 3rd of June 2000, was completely authorized to take on faculty status by having the first graduates in 1999. Since the Faculty of Architecture has been giving importance to the study of historical Lanna architecture and architecture conservation throughout the past years, we had provided courses concerning architectural history and applied Lanna architecture. Those courses were provided to make a clear understanding and good basis for students on architecture to lead the students to the highest ability to appropriately apply their knowledge and creativity in contemporary architecture design. Because of those reasons, the Faculty of Architecture had aimed to establish Lanna Architecture Center to be a center that collects, stores, and educates Lanna architectural history from past to present and to be one of the region significant centers that propagates important information to students, researchers, and people who are interested.
Now, Lanna Architecture Center has been a department under the Culture and Community office, Faculty of Architecture, Chiang Mai University, which is responsible for doing research, collecting, and presenting lanna architecture and related cultural information. The office is located at Khum Chao Burirat (Mahain), a 120 – year-old building donated by Ms. Riangpan Thipmonton and Dr. Jullatat Kitibud on the 9th of March 2001.
Khum Chao Burirat (Chao Burirat’s mansion) or Khum Klang Weang was originally a residence for Chao Burirat Mahain, a grandson of Chao Luang Khamfhun (the third ruler of Chiang Mai). It is assumed that it was built in 1889-1893. Later on, between 1894-1946, the building was inherited to Chao Burirat Mahain’s son, Chao Noi Chomcheun Na Chiang Mai before Chao Butsaba Na Chiang Mai, a wife of Chao Noi Chomchuen, sold it to Mrs. Buaphan Nikonphan (Thipmonthon). The house became an inheritance of Thipmonthon family until Riangphan Thipmonthon (Buaphan’s daughter and Dr. Jullatat Kitibud’s aunt) gave this building to Chiang Mai University on the 9th of March 2001 to serve as the office of Lanna Architecture Center under the control of Faculty of Architecture, Chiang Mai University.